Title: Executive Director
Work location: Remote, in the community as needed
Compensation: $70,000, with an additional benefit stipend of $5,000
Handmade Arcade is the spark that ignited Pittsburgh’s robust maker community. Predating all other local craft-focused markets, including national markets like Etsy, Handmade Arcade has been a leader in Pittsburgh’s maker movement long before the term “maker movement” existed—with early credits such as features in MAKE Magazine and hosting the country’s first-ever Craft Congress in 2007.
Today, the organization operates as a nonprofit and continues to make significant, year-long contributions that directly impact Pittsburgh’s craft, maker, and arts communities’ quality of life and economic success.
Handmade Arcade empowers makers of all ages by providing them with professional development and connections to customers.
Handmade Arcade envisions an inclusive artistic community where all makers are empowered to share their craft and to achieve their creative potential and financial goals.
- Financial Sustainability
Handmade Arcade champions collaboration, creativity, inclusivity, and innovation in our vibrant creative community. We empower artists and makers at all stages of their journey, fostering an entrepreneurial spirit and encouraging fresh ideas and approaches.
- The Executive Director reports to the Handmade Arcade Board of Directors
- The Executive Director manages all personnel, which includes paid employees, unpaid volunteers, interns, and independent contractors.
About This Job Post
As Handmade Arcade seeks its next Executive Director, this job post offers a high-level overview of core responsibilities. We hope the new Director will embrace the strategic plan, co-create their role, and take full ownership of staffing the organization. A full version of the position’s job description will be shared with all candidates who are invited to interview.
Development & Board Relations
- Cultivate and steward donor relationships for sustained support.
- Research, plan, and write funding proposals to boost contributed income.
- Ensure grant compliance, streamline recognition, and aid in Board fundraising capacity-building.
- Support the Board to align long-term strategy with mission, vision, and values.
- Prepare and provide board meeting information packets.
- Serve as an ex-officio member of the Board of Directors.
Community Relations & Communication
- Lead efforts to foster an inclusive, anti-racist culture with financial transparency.
- Expand vendor and audience diversity.
- Manage marketing plans, enhance accessibility, and represent Handmade Arcade in the community and media.
Operational Planning & Sustainability
- Collaborate on executing the strategic plan with the Board.
- Manage data, including surveys and CRMs.
- Assess and mitigate risks to staff, property, and reputation.
Fiscal Responsibility & Compliance
- Co-manage funds, records, and compliance with the Treasurer.
- Develop and present annual budgets, and provide monthly financial reports for review.
Staff Management & Human Resources
- Determine staffing needs and recruit/manage personnel.
- Handle contracts and HR policies, including job descriptions and performance evaluations.
- Foster a positive environment for staff, volunteers, and partners.
Program Development & Management
- Develop, oversee, and align programs with the mission, vision, values, and budget.
- Handle market applications, vendor relations, and event logistics.
- Manage vendor scholarships and sponsorships and maintain communications.
Why It’s Great to Work for Handmade Arcade
- Competitive and flexible benefits package
- Work remotely
- Flexible schedule (Often include evenings, weekends as needed for meetings and events)
- Encourages independence and innovative thinking
- Professional development opportunities
- Collaborate with the region’s talented and robust makers, arts, and craft community and like-minded nonprofit organizations
- Supportive and engaged board of directors
How to Apply
Applicants are asked to submit a resume and cover letter directly to the Board of Directors at email@example.com. Application materials will be reviewed on a rolling basis, however, preference will be given to applications received prior to December 1, 2023.